This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 54%. (I’m a bot)
Texas authorities have issued a warning amid concerns that the water supply in the southeast of the state may contain the brain-eating amoeba naegleria fowleri following the death of a 6-year-old boy.
Per a City of Lake Jackson statement, his hospitalization was due to the amoeba, which was linked to two water sources by which he’d been known to have played in late August before becoming ill – the Lake Jackson civic center fountain “Splash pad” and a hose at his home.
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality urged Lake Jackson residents in a statement Saturday to “Follow the Do not Use Water Advisory until the water system has been adequately flushed and samples indicate that the water is safe to use.”